A sole proprietorship form of business is the easiest type of business to start and register in the Philippines. Corporations and partnerships should be registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) before they can apply for registrations with other government agencies, such as BIR, Mayor's Office, SSS, PhilHealth, Pag-ibig, etc. Cooperatives should also be registered with the Cooperative Development Authority (CDA) of the Philippines.

A proprietorship business is only owned and controlled by one owner - the proprietor. The proprietor and the proprietorship business is one and the same entity for tax purposes - they share them same TIN (Taxpayer's Identification Number). While corporations, partnerships and cooperatives are owned by several owners (shareholders, partners and members).

To guide you in your plan to start and register a sole proprietorship business in the Philippines, here are some steps and links to detailed articles that will guide you on the registration of your business:

Step 1. Register your business trade name with the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
This is to register your trade name or company name.
Please read our blog post about registering your business with the DTI here:

Step 2. Get a Mayor's business permit.
This is to pay your local business taxes.
Please read our blog post about securing a Mayor's business permit here:

Step 3. Register as an employer
You will also be required to register your business as an employer with the SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-Ibig fund to contribute for your employees. Please check our guides on the procedures and requirements on the registration with these agencies:

How to register your business with the SSS

How to register your business with the PhilHealth

How to register your business with the Pag-Ibig Fund

Step 4. Register your business with the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
This is to pay your tax obligations, register your books of accounts, and get an authority to print your official receipts and invoices.
Please read our article about BIR business registration here:

Other steps:

If you are eligible to register as a micro-business under BMBE under R.A. 9178 to avail of income tax exemption and other privileges, you may read this article to guide you:

There are also some industries or type of operations that would require you to register with other government offices/agencies. For example, if you are starting a pawnshop or money changer, you are required to register with the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas. Please see below some of the industries that require additional registration from various government agencies:

  • Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) – for banks, pawnshops and money changers
  • Philippine Coconut Authority (PCA) – for businesses related in grain-rice farming and trading
  • Fiber Industry Development Authorit (FIDA) – for business related in fiber producing products.
  • Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) – for business related in fishing and aquatics products
  • Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) – for business related to animals
  • Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) – for business related to plants and vegetable crops
  • Forest Management Bureau (FMB) – for business related in lumber, logs, and other wood product.
  • National Tobacco Administration (NTA) – for business related to tobacco products
  • Insurance Commission (IC) – for insurance and other IC regulated entities
  • Bureau of Food and Drugs (BFAD) – for business related in the manufacturing, trading, repacking, importing, exporting, distributing of any products related to food and drugs
  • Intellectual Patent Office (IPO) – for registering your trademarks, logos, slogans, processes and secret formulas
  • Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and Department of Education (DepEd) – for entities involved in providing education
  • Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) – for institutions involve in technical education and skills development
  • Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) – Business establishments with five or more employees are encouraged to register with the DOLE for the purpose of monitoring the firms’ compliance with labor regulations. Registration is required for firms with 50 or more workers.